Saturday, June 2, 2007

Begging the Question


Begging the Question is a fallacy in which the premises include the claim that the conclusion is true or (directly or indirectly) assume that the conclusion is true. This sort of "reasoning" produces conversations like this one:

nterviewer: "Your resume looks impressive but I need another reference."
Bill: "Jill can give me a good reference."
Interviewer: "Good. But how do I know that Jill is trustworthy?"
Bill: "Certainly. I can vouch for her."

or:

Tom: What makes heroes heroes?
Don: Because they are great
Tom: What makes them great?
Don: Because they are heroes.

Have you run up against this one?

3 comments:

re said...

Yes I have ran across something like the second conversation. I asked my nephew:, why is the sun yellow? Nephew: Because it is yellow. Me: No, what makes the sun yellow. Nephew: Because it is the sun.

babudd said...

HAHA! of course it is!

Anonymous said...

haha this reminds me of when I was little and would ask my parents to do something and they would say no. Ofcoure i would ask why and they would say "because i said so."